1. First of all go through latest syllabus of GATE completely. Read every single topic of each subject carefully mentioned in the GATE syllabus.
“It is important to know what to study but
it is more important to know what not to study”
Because you have to choose subjects to study as per GATE syllabus you do not need to study all subjects which you have studied during your B.E. / B. Tech. course.
2. Buy GATE previous years papers book with explained solution. It will surely help greatly those who are preparing self at home.
3. Always read standard books.
Why need to read standard books ?
Because standard books written by highly experienced Professors of reputed institutes / universities. Data available in those books are very well examined on theoretical as well as practical measurements. These books always comes with complete analysis and statistics which you can find on the start and last of the books.
GATE papers are designed by IISc, IIT, NITs highly experienced professor those who have written many international and national level books and articles. So always try to use standard books. Try to avoid mere knowledge books. Some standard publications are Tata McGraw-Hill (TMH), Prentice-Hall of India (PHI), Wiley etc.
4. Many would say 3 to 4 month serious preparation is enough but I would suggest you as per present competition you must start your preparation as soon as possible targeting GATE 2017 examination.
5. First of all make proper plan before starting your GATE preparation. What you have to study ? What you have already studied or in which areas you are weak and in which areas you are strong ? How many hours you have in a day for GATE preparation ? Specially if you are preparing for GATE with college study.
6. In free time try to read articles or guide notes written by previously qualified candidates or toppers. It will surely give you a good idea about GATE preparation because experience take time and you are getting it without Wasting your time. If possible try to communicate with them so that they can rectify your silly mistakes in your preparation strategy.
7. Always keep a copy of syllabus of GATE with you, refer it as much as possible because many time we try to ignore many topic and those topics have big portion in your GATE paper and that inversely affect your rank in GATE examination.
8. Don’t start your preparation in rush like doing all subjects at once. Starting studying everything like theory and numerical of all subjects at once it will confused you in last time preparation. Start with basics then go high as you find yourself good enough prepared. As per my suggestion make your GATE preparation plan in three steps :
(1) First basic studies like definitions, units, dimensions etc. It will help you very well in extension study of that particular subject. (2) Theoretical portion of that particular subject. (3) Numerical portion of that particular subject.
At last revision of that particular subject before starting new one. Try to study only one subject at a time. If you can manage two subjects at a time that would also good. But more then two subjects at a time may lead you in big confusion in last time preparation or at revision time.
9. Try to solve as much as possible theoretical and numerical problems because as said “Practice makes man perfect”.
I will suggest you read only one subject at a time from only one book. That one book must good enough to follow GATE syllabus. So before starting GATE study, consult with your seniors or GATE qualifiers about books for GATE preparation. Do not follow books without knowledge because all books don’t have good learning material it may lead you less marks in GATE exam.
10. Stay with a particular topic, understand what GATE paper designer ask from that topic, read all questions asked in GATE previous years, try to solve similar kind of question from as much as possible books.